Early Orthodontic or “Phase 1′ is early treatment to correct the bite/jaw alignment, which starts anywhere between ages 6 and 10 (when the adults teeth are coming in). About 1 in 5 children need this. Since the teeth and jaws are still growing/developing at this stage, if major problems exist, we have a better opportunity to correct the problem before growth is complete.
What is Invisalign First?
Does My Child Need Phase 1 Treatment?
A child would benefit from early treatment if the following exists:
- Jaws are too far forward or back
- Front teeth do not meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- Facial appearance is unbalanced
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing
- Breathing through the mouth
- Thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Biting the cheeks or into the roof of the mouth
- Grinding or clenching the teeth
What are the Benefits of Phase 1 Treatment?
Early orthodontic treatment will improve your child’s smile at a young age, boosting their self esteem. It will also improve the position of particular teeth, enhance the stability of our final orthodontic result, and some may benefit from improved facial alignment and profile.
What Types of Phase 1 Treatment are Available?
- URA brace (upper removable appliance)
- Functional brace
- Invisalign braces with wings